Friday 23 July 2010

Friday mornings

I'm missing my colleagues. We usually spend our Friday mornings looking at a Cam23 thing together and having a play. But they're not here today, so I'll blog about our experience of thing 11 - Slideshare. Like many of the sites and services we're being introduced to by the 23 things program, the initial homepage is quite scary - busy and off-putting and fills one with 'I don't know what to do'-ness. This is why it's great to have the Cam 23 team in the wings pushing us on to the stage like a proud parent. 'You can do it, Go on!' We have also learned the benefit of having simultaneous tabs open on our browsers, so that we can slip seamlessly from 'Cam 23 blog' to' thing to explore' without falling over or bursting into tears or wishing we had a print-out.

A question at an early stage is 'How do you add audio to a presentation to turn it into a screencast?' Hmm, getting ahead of ourselves there, maybe. The Heriot-Watt slideshows seem to be two years old, so we have a look at something a bit more recent - Phil Bradley on Facebook Privacy. 79 slides - we don't make it to the end.

While I'd love to share colleagues' slide presentations on various things, I'm probably more likely to do this in a local environment, so I expect if I use slideshare at all, it'll be by someone saying 'and if you want to see my slides for this presentation, I've posted them on slideshare'. But for 'slideshare', I guess I could read libraries@cambridge or the presenter's own website or any other number of sites, or get the slides as an email attachment. Coming to a slide presentation without actually having seen it presented, the presentation can often falter where you'd get a bit of witty repartee, and I find myself thinking 'and what would they have said while that slide was up?' Which I guess brings me back to the screencast question. I'm glad Slideshare is there, and I might enjoy ransacking it, but am unlikely to find 100% useful stuff - I think I'd want to be directed to something specific, either by its author or by a colleague for it to really grab me.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about screencasts, I'm afraid, except that Phil Bradley posted a list of options for what I think screencasting might be here: http://philbradley.typepad.com/i_want_to/2010/06/screentoaster-closing-alternatives.html

    Hope it's not too quiet in your library today with all your colleagues away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my slideshare presentations are not brilliant if you just try and look at them - I like using photographs and will talk my point around them, rather than using them as the basis of a presentation. It is always possible to add a commentary, but that does take extra time which isn't always available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're feeling lonely on your Cam23 morning another time, just give me a call!

    ReplyDelete